Occasionally there are sales or discount voucher codes available for the purchase of DNA tests for genealogy. I will publish them on this page whenever I'm aware of good deals to share.
Also compare the features and prices of the major DNA testing companies.
Family Tree DNA
- FamilyTreeDNA.com sells several different types of DNA tests for genealogy
- FTDNA's Annual Holiday Sale - Now on, with great discounts!
Sale prices valid until midnight 31 December 2017 CST US.
* Note that shipping costs an additional US$12.95 per kit (one kit is required for each person who tests).
* Existing customers: check your FTDNA account weekly for reward codes to save even more!
- Autosomal Transfer - if you have already done a DNA test with AncestryDNA, 23andMe or MyHeritage DNA, you can transfer your raw DNA data file to FTDNA for free matching in their Family Finder customer database (note that you will only see your closest matches, approximately the top 10%, as a full test is required to see all your matches due to compatibility of testing company chips).
- The free autosomal transfer doesn't provide access to all the available features & tools, but the tools can be unlocked for US$19.
- Project Discount: For Y-DNA tests (males only), join a FTDNA Project before ordering to save US$20. Find a project matching your surname, or simply start your order by clicking on a reduced-priced kit from Australian Citizens or New Zealand Genetic Families. Learn more about FTDNA projects.
(Note: project discounts apply during some sales, but not all).
- Free Y-DNA tests: Some surname projects offer free Y-DNA tests to encourage males with particular surnames to test - so check the ISOGG list of free DNA tests.
- 23andMe.com's price for Australian & New Zealand customers is now USD$99 (down from USD$149).
- An Ancestry-only kit is now available for US residents for US$99 (no health reports).
- Apply the coupon code FREESHIPDNA in your cart to save $9.95 on shipping
(only available if the voucher box is visible/active).
- Living DNA breaks down your ancestry across 80 worldwide regions - three times the detail of other tests. It also breaks down British ancestry across 21 regions, and as new discoveries are made and more regions identified, your results will be updated (Irish and German regions are currently being developed and your results will be updated as these are completed). (Note: does not yet include a matching database for connecting relatives, but this is expected to be added soon).
- Living DNA Sale - Limited time only!
A$199 A$169; NZ$199 NZ$169; £120 £99; US$159 US$99; C$199 C$169; €159 €129; plus shipping
- Living DNA Personalised Ancestry Book
- MyHeritage.com/dna - Still at launch sale prices
Full price US$99 on sale US$59 plus 10% VAT plus US$12 shipping
Australia: A$130 on sale A$77 plus 10% GST plus A$16 shipping
Note: Half-price shipping for 2 kits; Free shipping for 3 or more kits!